10 Amazing Human Brain Facts
Updated: Dec 3, 2019
Here’s something to wrap your mind around - literally!
1. The human brain weighs about 1.5kg.
2. It comprises 60% of fat and is one of the fattiest organs in the human body.
3. The human brain has the capacity to generate approximately 23 watts of power when awake. Hmmm! I wonder if that's why we say we've had a light bulb moment?
4. Of the total blood and oxygen that is produced in our body, the brain gets 20% of it.
5. When the blood supply to the brain stops, the brain starts losing consciousness after 8 - 10 seconds. Yikes!
6. If you got all the blood vessels in your brain and put them end to end, they'd clock up approx 160,000km. Whaaat?? BTW I'm not advising you do this! #justsaying
7. There are 100 billion, yes BILLION neurons in the human brain. YOUR brain!!!
8. In early pregnancy, the neurons develop at an alarming rate of 250,000 per minute. Read that again! OMG!
9. Brain freeze is really just a simple thing called sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia. (Say that three times fast!) It happens when you eat or drink something that’s cold. It chills the blood vessels and arteries in the very back of the throat, including the ones that take blood to your brain. These constrict when they’re cold and open back up when they’re warm again, causing the pain in your forehead.
10. During the mummification process, Egyptians would usually remove the brains through the nose. Eeew!
Got any other cool bran facts? Drop them in the comments so we can all get a bit smarter :-)
Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming Master Practitioner of Time Line Therapy® Master Practitioner of Clinical Hypnotherapy Master Practitioner of Life Coaching
Partnering with individuals and organisations wanting the absolute best out of themselves and their lives.